Friday 30 December 2011

Five Things Fridays: Five hopes for the new year

I've decided that, in order to get a more regular posting schedule, to do a series of posts called Five Things Fridays. I've got my first five things today, then another 2 posts queued for while I'm away in South Africa, then hopefully I'll keep it up after that :)

So, without further ado, here are my first five things:

Five hopes for the new year

1.  I hope to get a good degree classification.
Source
For my subject, that means a high 2:1 or a First. I’ve worked so hard and I’ll be gutted if I don’t do well. All will be revealed in June/July...

2.  I hope to get a good job. Obviously this ties in with number 1, and if I don’t achieve number 1 then number 2 isn’t likely to happen either, or at least not in the near future and I’ll have to work a lot harder for it. What sort of job would I like? That’s a tough one... I’ve changed my mind so many times over the past 5 years, I’ve gone from the “when I grow up I want to be a vet” phase which lasted for pretty much all of my childhood, to “I’ll never manage 5+ years of uni so being a vet isn’t an option, I’ll just be a zookeeper or something instead”, to where I am now, which is “maybe I should go back to uni and train to be a paramedic...”. I’m not going to even really start seriously looking for a job until September though, so it’ll be a while before we see if this one happens!

3. I hope to  Travel more.
Source
I’ve always wanted to travel but have never been able to, so now that I’m an “adult” I’m going to make sure I change this! I’m starting off the new year by going to South Africa (excitedddddd!), but I don’t want that to be the only place I go all year. I’m still hoping to be able to go on my trip round Europe this summer, but at the moment it’s not looking terribly likely as if I want to go I’ll have to go by myself, and I’d be terrified of doing so as I’ve only left the country on school/uni trips before where everything has been organised for me and I’ve been with a big group of people. I might break myself in to the whole lone traveller thing by taking a trip up to Scotland when exams are over – I can visit family and see the pandas at Edinburgh Zoo :)

4. I hope to keep my relationship going. I keep thinking about what's going to happen to my relationship with Steve after we graduate... do we move in together? If so, where - his home area or mine? Or somewhere completely different? What about if he goes abroad - do I go with him? What about me getting a job? When do I have to decide all this stuff? Arghhhh! I'm keeping everything crossed that we work something out, I'd quite like to keep this one :)

5. I hope to make some new friends.
Source

Seems like a fairly simple one, but for some reason I've really struggled to make friends at uni (and probably at college too, seeing as I don't really have any friends from college that I still keep in touch with other than the occasional bit of small talk). I don't know why I've had such trouble, I've tried being polite and friendly and all that kind of stuff, but I don't want to be too friendly and come across as a complete weirdo haha, but now I don't know if it's because I haven't been friendly enough. But I haven't been horrible or anything, so how come everyone else has managed to form solid friendships and I haven't? Even people who joined the course last year when I thought all the friendship groups had been made have made more friends and become more integrated than I have. What am I doing wrong?! I feel like I'm about 4 years old again and my only worry in the world is not making any friends on my first day of school haha. Here's hoping that this will all change in 2012 and I'll make some lifelong friends :)

2 comments:

  1. Whaha that friendship algorithm made me laugh. Perhaps your 'objecive' shouldn't be 'lifelong friends'. It's great when that happens, but it also heightens your expectations. Sharing a simple coffee together can also be a lot of fun and perhaps more can grow from there. I have always been more into a few solid friendships and not into many causual ones.. I do get along well with many people but I like my alone time as well. Being genuinely interested in people helps (remember things people said so you can ask about them later). I'm not saying I know it all, but I have become more accepting of myself the way I am over the last year (I'm an introvert so i like being around people but it cost me a lot of energy :p) :)

    x

    Marielle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think one of the problems that I have is not really having interests in common with people. Most of the people I know spend a lot of their time going out clubbing and getting drunk, 2 "hobbies" that I don't enjoy. The kind of things I enjoy doing aren't really go outside and be sociable type ones, so it's hard to find other people that are interested in the same things as, like me, they spend a lot of time away from other people!

    ReplyDelete